Tuesday 21 June 2011

An interview with Marion Paterson

Hey folks! 
I think I am vocal enough that most of you know a little about me but what about the other half of Ruby & Rose Jewellery? Marion Paterson is the creator of all our pieces, she sources the gorgeous materials we use, researches trends and comes up with ideas which we then collaborate on to build our collection.


So todays post is a little interview with Marion, we have done the newspaper articles but this one is by me, so wont be a work of literary genius but should be fun!
When making jewellery what inspires you?
firstly season as much as anything, I do like seeing whats new in the big cities, Paris, Rome, London, New York.  I love visiting Paris and people watching, Parisian women encapsulate style and it seems effortless.  This is what I try to achieve with our collections, this timeless and effortless style.  


Do you have favourite colours?
These change with seasons, I love pastels for spring and summer and more bronze and gold for autumn and winter.  I also love monochrome I'm very excited with this actually as I am working on some ideas just now with black and white.


Do you have any style icons?
Well the usual suspects Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly and I also like Kate & Pippa Middleton. I admire their relaxed but timelessly classic style and that they aren't afraid to mix and match from the high street.  I also like Coco Chanel for the simplicity of the lines and colour she uses.  Christina Hendricks and January Jones (from the very stylish 'Mad Men') really inspire me,    
they show that style is something you can be in and be comfortable with, not something you have to be.


Are you an organised person?
um...no, I try to be organised but I get bored and the organisation makes things harder to find.  When things are unorganised I sometimes do my best work, as I put things together that I might not usually have.


What are your favourite pieces from the collection and why?
I like, all the Florences, Sofias and Rosas are I feel they are timeless.


Florence in Quartz

Sofia in Black & Red


Rose in Black 




The florals I feel are fun and will go with anything. 


Floral Adele Bracelet


I do love pearls and our Lana collection is a favourite of mine, the shell pearls and turquoise is beautiful.


Lana necklace, Swarovski and Turquoise gemstone heart


What pieces from the collection do you have for yourself?
The Rosa in Pink, Rosa in Black and Florence in Goldstone.  I make wear anything I wouldn't wear myself so if I could I would have them all!


Florence in Goldstone


What's it like working with your extremely talented, funny and intellegent daughter Emily?
Emily really keeps me on my  toes, I love working with her, OK we don't always agree (In our business there are 2 opinions, the wrong opinion and my one!) But seriously we do alright between us.  Although this question was written tongue in cheek, I do agree with everything she has written in the question, we work very well together and it is extremely good fun! 


Marion & Emily, Daily Record 12th May 2011


Thanks for reading and remember our giveaway at 50 followers, 


The Taylor Bracelet, Aventurine gemstones with sterling silver heart
The Taylor bracelet is worth £25, more details can be found here 


We would really appreciate your help to get us to the magical 50 followers, thank you to all who have helped so far.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely interview :) I love the sofia in black and red, it just makes me think of autumn and snuggling up to keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the florence in goldstone :)

    ReplyDelete